Contributors

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Chicken and Dumplings


For the soup base you will need:
1 lb chicken breasts or 1 whole chicken
4 carrots
4 stalks of celery with greens
1 head of cabbage halved
3 to 4 potatoes peeled
(Any other vegetables you would like to add.)
Seasoning’s are to taste. Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Onion, Paprika, etc. (I used a dash of chili powder as well)
For the dumplings you will need:

1 ½ c flour
3 tbsp butter
¾ c. milk
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
(Here I use garlic and herb seasonings to add to the flavor of the dumplings my new favorite is a “Grill Mates” brand and I use between 1 and 2 tbsp. However I would like to add that when I have it I prefer to use fresh herbs and garlic because it just adds texture and flavor that can’t be beat.)

Put the chicken in a pot and fill with cold water until the water just covers the top of the chicken. Heat and simmer until the meat is tender and falling apart, (or off the bone).
Add your vegetables, chopping to desired size. Add seasonings. Continue to simmer until vegetables are done.
When you have added your vegetables mix your dumplings by adding all your dry ingredients to a bowl… stir until well blended.
Cut in the butter then add milk. Cover and let sit until your vegetables are just about done cooking then add the dumplings slowly dropping from a spoon (size is completely dependent on you) into soup spreading them out so you are not dropping the dumplings on top of each other.
Most dumpling recipes say to cook until the dumplings float. I like slightly less solid dumplings, so I add a little more milk to make the mixture more like a drop biscuit than a rolled biscuit, which means that they float almost immediately. I just recommend gently swirling the pot until your dumplings are completely covered and then letting the pot simmer about 5 minutes.
If you stir the pot before your dumplings are done your soup will thicken and you’ll lose some of your dumplings. If that’s your desired effect (it’s how I make it). Then before adding your dumplings remove about 1 cup of your broth and set to the side. Add your dumplings and when you have approximately 4 spoons left in your dumpling mixture add the broth you set aside and stir until mixed, then add back to the pot. No need to stir as your soup is still simmering, but if you feel a need, just gently swirl the pot.
4 hours ago · Like

Also I should add that if you feel like you're adding too many vegetables then you can cut them back. I had to revise this for the "normal" person... meaning I cooked my soup in a 12 qt stockpot and I don't think most people are going to be cooking enough to feed an army.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers